How to force TwitPic to pull your Twitter profile picture

Twitpic Logo

I am a pretty avid Twitter user and I use TwitPic to post pictures to my Twitter timeline.  Recently I noticed TwitPic was not pulling my profile image from Twitter, which I had always assumed was automatic.  Apparently I was wrong. Some may say this is trivial, but hey, I like things to be consistent. So, after an hour or so of screwing around with it, and finally figuring it out, I thought I would share what I found.

First, there is no setting in “Settings” on TwitPic to upload a profile picture.  To get TwitPic to pull your profile picture from Twitter, try the following completely unintuitive process:

1. Log into TwitPic using your Twitter username and password.
  2. Click “Upload Photo” in the navigation bar at the top of the page.
  3. Choose an image you would like to upload to TwitPic.  It doesn’t matter WHAT picture it is.  It doesn’t have to be the image you want for your profile, because TwitPic will pull whatever image you are using on your Twitter profile (which once again in my opinion should be automatic!).
  4. After completing all the fields, make sure you DO NOT check the box that reads “Check this if you only want to upload the photo and not post it to your Twitter profile.”
  5. Click “Post It”
  6. TA-DAAAA…Your TwitPic profile is now using your Twitter profile picture.

You may have to do this each time you change your Twitter profile picture.

Don’t ask me why you have to do it this way.  It doesn’t make any sense to me either.  I would hope TwitPic fixes whatever is broken behind the scenes that is preventing profiles pics from being pulled automatically.

11 Responses to “How to force TwitPic to pull your Twitter profile picture”

1. [...] in January I posted about forcing TwitPic to pull your Twitter profile picture. It seems that this method is no longer [...]

2. nabelya says:

why is it still doesnt work with me?i mean after we upload the picture then what do i have to do?

• kevin says:

Nabelya,

I posted an update to the post a while back stating that this fix may not work anymore. I am not sure what changes the twitpic team may have made, but I have had several replies saying that this fix doesn’t seem to be working anymore.

• Chris says:

It does work. Once you upload the photo, it doesn’t grab your twitter profile pic unless you then logout of twitpic once again and re-login back into your twitpic account. Then it should be ok.

• kevin says:

Chris,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it is still working for some folks. I will try and post an update to both posts later today letting people know how you were able to wrangle it in.

3. James says:

worked great for me just as it was described! As soon as it posted my photo my profile pic changed!

Many thanks

• kevin says:

Glad it worked for you man…I have just had a few people tell me it isn’t working. Maybe they just aren’t so good at directions ;-)

4. pixel says:

Hi,

this is nt working and is not the right way to do that, you have just to sing out and resign in back to automatic syncronise your photo profil with twitter

Chek this link : http://twitpic.zendesk.com/entries/180565-how-do-i-update-my-profile-photo

5. leila says:

When I update my twitter profile picture, the only place where the change apply is in my profile at the top. While scrolling down my TL, I still see my old picture, even on my tweets on my profile .. do you know what I mean ? I Would really like to fix this please .. Help ?

6. bianca chili says:

Please help me set my profile pic anyone plzzzzzz